Sunday, November 16, 2008

different lab sections

When I teach 222 I enroll all my students from the registrar side into one webCT course. However each student is officially listed (on the registrar side) as being part of a separate recitation section and a separate lab section.

The lab sections meet once a week, each lab section at a different time per week and they have an quiz/assignment due just before the lab meets, this is a pre-lab. When I have all the lab-sections in the one-course, I can’t close the pre-lab till the very end of the week, after the very last section. I’d much rather close this at the right time for each section.

A possible solution is to create a) 222 webCT all_sections that everyone enrolls in b) then ~ 20 webCT courses: one for each lab-section that only has the lab info in it. Perhaps start with a template lab-section and clone it. Each student would be enrolled in the all_sections course and their lab-section. I would then perhaps create each pre-lab on respondus, upload each pre-lab to each of the webCT lab courses with different dates of each pre-lab, 14 of them in each of the 20 sections :( = 280 respondus uploads, yuck. Unless there is a smarter way to do that.

No comments: